Friday, February 6, 2009

I have survived!

I cant believe that it has been two weeks that I have been here already. Things have been so crazy and I am so glad that I am starting to feel a little more settled. First off I have to say thank you to everyone that helped us pack up the truck. That was super helpful and we were very grateful. The drive to New Mexico was long but I managed to drive the whole way by myself. The kids had so much fun driving in the uhaul with Seth and then Haylee spent some time in my in-laws car. I just put on my zune and had a bag of sunflower seeds and I was good. It took us about 12hrs so I am sorry to say that I don't have any trips planned in the near future to vegas! We had so much to do when we got here that I couldn't even think straight. Our fridge that we brought with us ended up having a horrible smell in it that we could not get out so we had to buy a new one and that took a couple of days so we were all tired of eating fast food. I couldn't wait to make a homemade meal and I am sure my kids felt the same way. However I did learn a lesson that you don't leave the men to pick out the fridge for you. Seth called me from work and said that he bought a silver fridge from Lowes and we would get it in a couple of days. I don't know if anybody else would freak out but seriously silver. To my surprise I do like it and it looks really nice in our kitchen. We also had to deal with only having one vehicle for awhile. Seth went back to work on that following Monday but before he did we went down to register the kids for school so they could start on Tuesday. Well I thought for sure it wouldn't be that bad to have to walk the kids to school for a couple of days until we got a car but of course Tuesday was so cold by the time we got half way there Luke was in tears because his ears were burning. That afternoon it started to snow so I made sure that when I went to pick them up I packed hats and gloves for them. We will buy winter coats for next year. Finally the day came that we went looking for a car. We bought a minivan and I love it. It has power everything and just rides so smooth. I think Seth was hoping that he would be the one to get the new car but I am so excited to have a van. Anyone can come and visit me and we will have enough room in our car now. We really are doing well. Our ward is really big and the primary is just amazing. I have never seen such a big primary. Haylee has already been to her first activity for activity days and she loved it. We signed her up for an art class after school on Mondays so she is excited about that. She has a super cute teacher at school and she is taller than her too. I think her favorite though has been playing with her old friend Adison. Lukes school teacher is super cute too so I am so relieved. He keeps coming home and telling me that he likes to chase the girls on recess and he is so excited because they have 4 huge playgrounds to play on. They both have been doing fine and seem to be at the same level as the rest of the class so we haven't had to have extra homework to get them caught up. Seth seems to like his job but he just gets lonely. He doesn't know anyone yet so he has to go to lunch all by himself. So sad huh? He is frustrated that it takes him an hour to get home because people don't know how to drive here. It is true! As for me I am doing fine now that I have a fridge and can make meals at home and have a car to get out of the house and I just joined a gym and cant wait to start exercising again. It is a super cute town and I know that we are really going to like it here. This morning on my way to take the kids to school I saw a hot air balloon in the sky which apparently is very common to see. There just seems like so much to do with families and the weather I have heard is awesome. It has been nice having one friend here and she has been showing me the ropes so I am thankful for that. So far we have Haylee and Lukes rooms done and I think they turned out cute. I do like the house we are in. Its nice to have more room and I love having the master bedroom on the main floor and the kids upstairs. Oh I cant forget. The last piece to the puzzle was we got Internet TODAY. Yes it took two weeks but I am in business now. I will take lots of pictures and keep up the post.

10 Comments:

Jen said...

I'm glad that you are settled and soon it will feel like home. However, I miss you lots and I will definately be coming to visit.

Karen said...

I was just telling Melinda that blogging is such a great way to keep in touch with people once they move! I'm glad you are adjusting. It will be fun to see your new adventures in New Mexico!
(I went private with my blog but if you want an invite send me your email at krazy421 at yahoo dot com)

rebecca and tim white said...

I am so glad you guys are all settled in, sounds like it will be a good move!

Keith and Allie said...

Yeah Laurel! I'm so happy you are loving it! Your car & house are beautiful! Maybe we'll move there too! Congratulations! :)

Fausett Family said...

I've been wondering what happened to you. Things sound like they are going really good. Your house looks alot bigger. We have been so busy and it is going to get crazier by the end of the month. Wish you were here to see the final result. We miss you!!

kristie said...

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling settled in!!

Stacie said...

How exciting!! Beautiful home!! And you are finally a minivan owner!! Hee-hee!! No, I love what my minivan can do, storage, seating etc. ... I just hate that it is a 'minivan'!! :)

Hey go to my sister's blog Gibb Family and enter her contest! It is for a Target gift card!! Also--my aunt does contests too on her blog: Swift Family!! :)

troyandbarbs said...

Miss you already. Sounds like you guys are happy and doing well. You're house looks great, wish I could come visit. Keep in touch

Aubrey said...

I was excited to see your blog post! I had been wondering how everything went! LOVE the house and love the van, that is so fun! It is so weird that you're gone! Thank goodness for blogging! Oh, and the fridge looks pretty good too! I'm excited for you guys. Glad the kids are liking their school...that's always huge!

Unknown said...

Sounds awesome! Tell Seth to hang in there and that it won't be long until everyone at work figures out that hanging out with him will only increase their coolness level!